Monday, July 30, 2012

How to throw a minecraft birthday party


For most of this year Oliver has been pleading his case for the best and biggest birthday celebration he's had yet.  His number one argument is that this is the only time he'll be changing to a different diget.  He apparantly isn't trying for the 100 year club.  10 is a big deal, he fervently says.  Well, I'm inclined to agree.  It's not much longer that he'll want a "themed" birthday party with party favors and fun invites and a pinata.  I'm not sure I'm ready for him to move on to the "too cool" teenage years.  One year I'm sure he'll just take a few friends on a hike or to a movie or a waterslide.  But for now, when he says he wants a Minecraft Birthday Party, he doesn't really need to twist my arm too much (nor Nate's I found out) to get it. 

I had to laugh as we were putting together some of the stuff for the party and Oliver realized how much work was going into this party and how cool it would be, he said, "Wow, when I told you this was a big year because I was moving up a digit, it really worked.  I didn't think it would, but it worked."



We gathered some ideas online and took the best ideas that would work for us.  Oliver woke up in the morning to a Creeper shirt that I had stenciled using the freezer paper method.  I think it looked really cool.  Then the party began with having the kids make their own "Steve heads" which also doubled as a prize/candy bag later on.  The Steve heads that you can download and print off  or color copy would have been much too expensive for a large group of kids.  Shoe boxes aren't the right shape or color, but I found that brown gift bags from the dollar store (2 for a dollar) were the perfect shape and size and could easily be decorated to look like a Steve head or a Creeper or any other Minecraft creature.  I always like beginning a birthday party with a craft so that those who come late aren't missing out on the games and can always finish the craft later or even at home. 


Next we moved on to the "mining" portion of the party.  We had previously hidden 160 colored cubes all over the backyard and when we gave the go ahead each child was let loose to find and collect 12 cubes and put them in their bags. 
When each child had found their 12 allotted cubes, they brought them over to the "crafting table" to turn what they had mined into prizes.  There were 10 prizes: 




A diamond sword made out of blue pool noodles. 
Silly string
Goo
A sheet of tattoos
A brain eraser
A balloon powered car
A porcupine pen
A punching balloon
A plastic pointer
A madlibs book

A few of the items (sword, silly string and eraser) we had one for each child.  There were about six of each of the other prizes so that the kids had to decide wich  prizes they really wanted.  It was ok to trade different colored cubes with other kids to get what you wanted. 

The crafting took a while, but it was fun watching the kids look through their cubes, look at the "Minecraft Wiki" and figure out how to place the correct cubes in the table to get their prize. 

After everyone had surrendered all or most of their cubes, we moved on to the house building competition.  Nate had the idea of building really big houses out of large boxes.  He spend a good part of a day going to different liquor stores and gathering free boxes--60-70 in all.  It's actually a pretty cool thing to have that many boxes that you can build a life size structure. 




We divided the kids into three teams.  Each team had three minutes to work together to build a house.  When time was up they got to admire their house and the next team got to come in and destroy it with their diamond swords of course.  The destroying part looked like a lot of fun actually.

The last activity was the "Ghast" pinata.  It was very simple to make as it is just a square box wrapped in copy paper and tissue paper with white streamers hanging down.  I had intended on making a Creeper pinata but Oliver wanted a Gast.  It really makes it nice that everything in this game is just simple squares and cubes. 




We served sandwiches for lunch--really just ran out of time to make cool "Minecraft" type food though we saw some really fun ideas with cheese cubes and other square foods.  But the cake was fun.  Oliver wanted a cake like the cake that you can actually make in the Minecraft game.  Again, so nice that everything is square.  I did a tripple layer cake to get more of a cube shape--although Oliver was quick to let me know that the cake isn't supposed to be a perfect cube.  I made a chocolate cake with white frosting and some red and pink random squares on the top--simple but it actually looked very similar to the the cake in the game. 


After presents some of the kids went back to the crafting table to finish off the prizes that were left and we all said goodbye.  It was a great party and now the only problem is... what are we going to do with 70 cardboard boxes?


32 comments:

  1. Really cool party. I love the cardboard boxes idea and the pool noodles for swords. All fou of my kids love Minecraft and I see several of these parties in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did you use as a handle to the sword? We love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The handles are PVC pipe cut about 18 inches long with the ends spray painted brown--thouth that was just for looks. Then the handles were glued in the noodles with gorilla glue but that also may not have been necessary. We have a kitchen garbage can in the garage filled with noodle swords and often have sword fights in the yard. They're perfect cause they're soft but strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome ideas! Where did you get your cubes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melinda. I got my cubes at a teachers supply store. Some were foam and some were wood. But just before Halloween I saw a bag of the foam kind--maybe 10 or so, at the Dollar Tree. This would have been a MUCH cheaper option. They're probably around online as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Little brother is having a minecraft birthday and I'm in charge of making stuff. I have made a tree(took me a whole day because I started from. Scratch) and a torch. Out of index cards tape crayons markers brown paper bags and orange napkins(for the fire we went everywhere and couldnt find orange tissue paper) I soon have to make more torches. And my mom made the creeper plates and is going to do a creeper cake. And shes doing spiders all over the house(made out of black balloons, black streamers, and red tissue paper)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Party. My wife found these custom made lego minecraft toys on etsy that she used as cake toppers. The cake looked amazing and the kids loved it. Just another great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great party. Today we are doing a video game party, which includes a Minecraft cake cake. We're also going to do an ore hunt for coal, iron, gold and diamond. Thanks for sharing. Heather from Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! Thank you so much for sharing all your ideas. My boys always have a combined birthday party and this is what they what. I'll be using lots of your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing your detailed ideas!! simple and doable.... my soon to be 9 year old has asked for a minecraft party - and I really LOVE these ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT ideas!!!! Thank you so much for posting! I wish I could come borrow those 70 boxes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome ideas - so creative! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having our party this weekend inspired by your party (I was on the fence until I saw this post and how simple but fun it could be). I just wanted to thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet idea for a minecraft party. I love the crafting table game. That is definitely getting implemented in my son's party next month. Great work on making your boy's day one he will remember! You are great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the crafting table game! What a great idea! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so on the swords the pvc pipe runs the whole length of the pool noodle?

    ReplyDelete
  17. No, the pvc goes only about five inches into the noodle and about five inches sticks out as well. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you use the pool noodle swords on the pinata? Were they strong enough to break it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry I didn't respond to your question sooner. I couldn't remember about the swords, but my husband said that we did switch over to a wooden baseball bat after the first round so that they could break the piñata. But it was kind of good to start with the swords so that everyone got a turn to hit before it broke open. He also reminded me though that someone's sword got damaged from hitting the "Gast" so hard but luckily we had a couple extra swords. Hopefully you read this in time. Have a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there awesome site and ideas!!!! Where did you hide rhe blocks for the mining part of the game?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, we just hid them all over the yard, near trees, inside flowers, next to rocks. Just wherever they were kind of hid but not too well. We were still finding some cubes a year later.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mamabyrd, I was wondering where did you find the blocks for the mining game? I've been to Walmart & Kmart and can't find any :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. I got them at a local Teacher Supply store. I got both foam and wooden blocks. But I did see some of the foam blocks at the dollar tree about a year ago so you could try there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me encanto las cajas de carton, mi hijo tendrá su fiesta de minecraft. gracias por compartir... saludos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the party ideas, fantastic! I loved creating theme birthday parties for my kids when they were younger, and they still remember them! Your son will never forget it!
    -Margot

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello,
    I really liked your Idea. A real minecraft game to play.
    Thanks
    cloudfrosthosting.com/minecraft-server-hosting/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just wanted to say that I am blown away by your creative "crafting table" game idea. It's too complex for my kindergarten aged guests to get into, but I'm storing it away for my older stepsons (turning 10 and 12) this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved your idea of the boxes. I thought about how much fun that would be to do.. also thought about all the boxes left! By the way I am absolutely loving that background melody --- it is enchanting...

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a commendable work you have done, with simplest of language. I can’t resist myself to leave a comment and trust me it’s hard to impress me.

    Minecraft Hostingx


    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your ideas! Did you cut the pool noodles for swords in half to make 2 out of 1 noodle or use the whole length?

    ReplyDelete